Just started a woodworking class.
- get some basic tools – rule, set square, tenon saw (more teeth per inch = finer cut), marking gauge, chisel
- a bench hook is great – and you can make one
- measure twice, cut once
- take your time, let the tool do the work
- mark the wood you are going to remove, and cut on the waste side of the line you’ve marked – you can always take more off, but you cant put it back.
- a saw can make a mess of your fingers – treat it like a big sharp chefs knife – keep your fingers away from the blade: tenon sawing
more tenon sawing
- rub a candle (never oil) on the side of the saw if it squeaks and sticks in the wood.